During Canada’s nightmarish Stephen Harper years — when an Arctic country with two oceanic coastlines and major freshwater reserves was ruled by a ruthless climate-denier — science librarian John Dupuis did yeoman service documenting and rounding up the assault on science that was an essential part of Harper’s payback to the oil interests he represented.
Now America is to be governed by man who believes that climate change is a Chinese conspiracy, whose EPA team is led by a man who says climate change is "nothing to worry about," who campaigned on a promise to revive the coal industry and bring back the Keystone XL Pipeline.
Dupuis is making ready to document the coming Trump campaign against science. In an era of catastrophic climate change, climate denial means war on science, because reality has a well-known liberal bias and people who observe and document reality are therefore enemies of the state.
Dupuis has begun his long project with a timeline of Trump’s pre-election war on science, which I reproduce below.
- May 2011. Donald Trump says he’s an environmentalist; others beg to differ by Annie Gowen
- Aug 2015. Presidential Candidate Donald Trump On Autism, Vaccines, And Mental Health by Emily Willingham
- Sep 2015. Donald Trump on vaccines: ‘It’s not helpful’, experts say by Rory Carroll
- Nov 2015. 5 Outrageous Things Donald Trump Wants to Do to the Environment by Django Reynard
- Apr 2015. Trump Just Invented A New Federal Department by James Barrett
- May 2016. The Environmental Implications Of A Trump Presidency by Ron Koronowski
- May 2016. Donald Trump Promises to Cut Regulation on ‘Phony’ Environmental Issues by Justin Worland
- May 2016. Trump outlines ‘America First’ energy plan by Timothy Cama and Devin Henry
- May 2016. Trump vows to undo Obama’s climate agenda in appeal to oil sector by Valerie Volcovici and Emily Stephenson
- Jun 2016. Defending Science in the Age of Trump by Alan Singer
06/02/2016 06:38 am ET | Updated Jun 02, 2016
- Jul 2016. Yes, Donald Trump did call climate change a Chinese hoax by Louis Jacobson
- Jul 2016. Trump vs Clinton: worlds apart on science: Presidential candidates begin to make clear their stark differences on climate change, energy production and stem-cell research. by Jeff Tollefson
- Jul 2016. Trump Just Totally Ignored Science… Again: His latest macho brag could be dangerous, experts say. by Sarah DiGiulio
- Sep 2016. The Donald Trump Environmental Scorecard by Christopher Solomon
- Sep 2016. Trump’s Environmental Policy: You’re Fired, Earth by Maddie Stone
- Sep 2016. What would Trump’s wall mean for wildlife? by Jonathan Sullivan
- Oct 2016. A Plan to Defend against the War on Science: The challenge of creating a public able to parse evidence-free “facts” rests with the press, educators and other thought leaders by Shawn Otto
- Oct 2016. A Report From the Front Lines of the War on Science by Gabi Schaffzin
- Nov 2016. China criticises Donald Trump’s plan to exit Paris climate deal by Reuters
Documenting the Donald Trump War on Science: Pre-Inauguration Edition [John Dupuis/Scienceblogs]